Thursday, December 6, 2007

A new sign on which I am currently working

Before you can start, cut your board to a length that you like and run all the edges through a small bit on your router. (Or use sand paper to knock off the edges all the way around.) Sand entire board until smooth. Prime several times (3 is good) and let dry completely. Base the background in a dark grey.



This first picture is of the left side. Base the light house in black. Paint the roofs in white. Tap in the pines with a large filbert and white. Use a dry wash first then straight paint randomly to add addtional snow on branches. Pull the tree in white and prussian blue with a liner. Shade roof lines with prussian blue. Add windows and lamp with a wash of light yellow. Use a shader to slice in snow banks with a wash of white. Add fence posts with tan and white and chisel edge of a shader. Go back and add window reflections with the lightest wash of yellow possible. Apply several coats to get proper feel. Use a tooth brush and wash white to apply snow flakes all over.



Now for the time consuming part. I used Corel Draw to manipulate the text into the design seen here. Illustrator will do the same thing and works just as well - the buttons are just located in differnt places ;-) Once you have the text to the size and layout that you like, print it out and transfer the letters with graphite paper. Use a ruler or straight edge for the straight sections of the letters. Use a dark color to base the letters. I used prussian blue here and several brushes : flat 4, angle shader 6, 2 round, 0 liner and probaly more to fit all the nooks and crannies to get the letters right. I then dry brushed each letter in med blue to make them stand out more. Then lined each letter in ochre to make them pop, this being the end result.




My total hours on this are about 8 (most of which was working on the lettering) alone) not including adding the copper wire and brad from which it hangs. I am in the process of varnishing with several coats of matte finish. This should be posted on Etsy by Decemeber 9th and available at the Art and Music Emporium by then as well.

I gotta admit, was thinking that using rub-ons for the lettering would be faster and therefore cheaper for my clients while I was working on this piece. But now that it is completely done, like birth, the pains are forgotten and I realize that rub-ons will not come in the shapes and sizes that I want or the colors I choose.

2 comments:

GreenSpaceGoods said...

Lovely! I like the text warp.

Maureen said...

Sure, rub ons would have been easier, but what you did is WAY better than rub-on letters.

It's so beautiful. I can just see it hanging on a cabin in the woods.