Monday, December 3, 2007

Where to start?

This is my first post to a blog. It's odd and I am not sure how to start so I'll just jump in.

First, I don't consider myself an "artist". Being an "artist" would take too much time, dedication, education, devotion, etc.

I have 3 kids, a dog and a cat. There is not room left in my day to be or become an "artist" (personally, I thank god the bird hates me and loves my husband - that's one less plate to fill in the morning!)

The time constraints and the fact that I enjoy multiple mediums (crocheting and knitting to traditional quill work) in my mind make me a "craftsman"; and I like that title just fine. But enough about me, lets get to the good stuff. The things I make!

Below is my take on Klassen. I muted the turquoise tones and omitted the "plaidy" grass stokes and grungy everything more than her. The turquoise is done in a base coat and then a wet wash and then dry brush of a deeper hue.

I enjoy painting both highly detailed pieces like Trompe L'Oeil, but I enjoy these as well. I like the simplicity of the piece, it also avoids looking "modern crafty" which is important to me. I don't think that "americana" should look "crafty".

I primed this brass plate first with several coats of good metal primer, which gave me a base that had plenty of tooth.

I am lucky enough to live by several auction houses and that is where I was able to nab a few of these plates. Itry my best to find a variety of surface on which to work. I enjoy shopping at the auctions as it forces me to look at pieces to see potential and hidden uses.

2 comments:

Homespun Mama said...

Very Cool. I'll have to check out your shop on Etsy.

spirit said...

thanks for stopping by!